~/naes/blog

Saturday, August 19, 2006

MC-808 Editor in WINE

I received the MC-808 sampling groovebox from Roland earlier this week, which was to replace the rusting MC-505 (see previous posting). Unfortunately the wrong AC power cord (3 socket kettle lead) was supplied for the transformer which had a 2 pin (figure of 8) configuration. Also missing was a ferrite core & fixing cable for the USB lead connection. I emailed Roland UK to inform them, their response was they wasn't made aware of this from Japan! It always amazes me that even in this day in age what with electronic communication that companies fail to, communicate. Anyway the following day I received the correct mains lead & the ferrite core.

Included with the kit was a CD with both the driver and editing software for both the windoze & Mac OS X platforms. A friend suggested the possibility that the software may work on Linux under WINE. I'd forgotten about this application as I don't have any need to run any windoze programs. So I decided to give it a go and sure enough it does :)

In the manual that came with the groovebox there is some crucial data missing, namely SysEx (System Exclusive). This is an expansion on the 1980's MIDI protocol to allow synth manufacturers to provide additional parameters to the device. I emailed Roland to request this data, and received a reply that it isn't currently available. As soon as this data becomes available I'll then be able to set about writing a Linux native program to interface with the MC-808.

I've suggested to their R&D department they start to consider producing Linux software for their products, especially as it is becoming a viable alternative operating system within studio environments and the creative arts movement. If they do you heard it here first!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home